Habitat for Humanity and Partner Families
Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver accepts applications from hardworking families (or what we at Habitat refer to as Partners Families) who would normally not qualify for a traditional mortgage but are ready for the responsibility and challenges of homeownership.
Habitat homes are sold to pre-approved Partner Families with no down payment and interest-free mortgages.
As a Habitat Partner Family you will be required to complete 500 hours of volunteer time (or what we call sweat equity) in the building of your and your new neighbour’s home, at Habitat events or assisting at one of our ReStores.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver is not currently accepting any applications. Feel free to check again in the Fall of 2017!
“My children could play safely, they were educated by teachers who really cared about them, and most importantly, they developed very healthy attitudes about life and how to become responsible citizens.”
—Margaret V., Partner Family member
Partner Families must...
- believe in the mission, vision and values of Habitat for Humanity
- be working and able to pay their monthly mortgage payments and afford all financial commitments that come with homeownership (mortgage payments are calculated at 30% of Partner Families' total household income and includes employment income, disability income, child tax benefits, GST rebates and child support)
- be committed to completing 500 hours of sweat equity prior to moving into their Habitat homes
- be Canadian citizens or permanent residents (for a minimum of three years) and Greater Vancouver residents for at least two years
- have a good credit rating and no overwhelming amount of debt
- not have declared bankruptcy in the last two years
- have an annual household income between $25,000–65,000
- have two or more children under the age of 18 that will benefit from a safe, decent and affordable home
- be living in housing that is unsuitable because of overcrowding, unsafe environment and unaffordability
To determine eligibility, interested applicants must complete our presreening application form.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver Family Services team will review all pre-screening applications to determine eligibility. Eligible applicants only will be asked to attend a mandatory homeowner information session (dates to be announced) and complete a full application form; all family members will need to attend this session.
Note: Response time varies from eight to twelve weeks; we will contact you whether you are selected or not.
Once approved, Partner Families will enter into a partnership agreement with Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver and begin completing their 500 sweat equity hours.
For more on the Habitat homeownership model and family section process, click here.