Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver accepts applications from hardworking families who would not normally qualify for a traditional mortgage but are ready for the responsibility and challenges of homeownership.
Habitat homes are sold to pre-approved Habitat Families with no down payment and interest-free mortgages.
As a Habitat Family you are required to complete 500 hours of volunteer time (sweat equity) in the building of your own and your new neighbours’ homes, helping out at Habitat events or assisting at a ReStore.
Habitat Families must...
- Believe in the mission, vision and values of Habitat for Humanity
- Be working, able to pay their monthly mortgage payments and afford all financial commitments that come with homeownership. Mortgage payments are calculated at 30% of Habitat Families' total household income and include employment income, disability income, child tax benefits, GST rebates and child support
- Be committed to completing 500 hours of sweat equity prior to moving into their Habitat homes
- Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents (for a minimum of three years) and Greater Vancouver residents for at least two years
- Have a good credit rating and no overwhelming amount of debt
- Not have declared bankruptcy in the last two years
- Have an annual household income between $25,000–$65,000
- Have two or more children under the age of 18 that will benefit from a safe, decent home
- Be a senior(s) parenting grandchildren under the age of 18
- Be living in housing that is unsuitable due to overcrowding, unsafe environment and lack of affordability